Division of Neuro Surgery
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Pituitary Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Integrated Stereotactic Surgery and locoregional therapy
The main activities of this Division concerns the diagnosis of Neurosurgery and the integrated treatment of neoplastic diseases of the nervous system: brain tumors, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system, primitive type or secondary. Moreover, as part of routine clinical activities the division deals with the treatment of all neurosurgical diseases, even in the absence of an emergency service department.
This division provides care for outpatient, ordinary hospitalization, day hospital and day surgery.
The integrated group of Neuro-Oncology ensure the best integration across other specialty areas (neurologists, neuroradiologists, oncologists, radiotherapists) and maintains active relationships with all other specialties present in Institute.
In order to ensure continued care to neuro-oncology patients, even outside of the hospital setting, a Home Care Service has been set up to help patients resettle back into their family home environment. The Home Care Service has been active for some years now and consist of a team specialists including Neurologists, Nurses and Physiotherapists that follow patients by visiting patients in their homes and contacting them via telephone to obtain their different and specific needs. The Lazio Region has recognized the importance and the quality of this type of service and has provided the necessary financial resources.
Sig.ra Marzia Piccoli
Tel. 52662721 E-mail: email@example.com
A. Maria Bolognese
Stefania De Martino
Auxiliary Hospital Staff
- Malignant and benign brain tumors
- Spinal Tumors
- Tumors of the peripheral nervous system
- Cerebral vascular disorders: aneurysms, vascular malformations, cavernomas
- Disorders of CSF circulation
- Degenerative spinal disease: cervical and lumbar herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis
- Neuralgia and irrepressible pain syndromes
- Syndromes compression and entrapment of peripheral nerves.
Neurosurgical operations are carried out with image-guided surgery tools including microsurgery, trans-sphenoidal surgery, endoscopic surgery, stereotactic surgery, instrumental spinal surgery techniques, vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty, radio frequency diathermy, and neurostimulation.
The Division of Neurosurgery has an operating theatre situated on the Operating theatre floor -2.
It is equipped with the latest modern technology ensuring patients to receive the best performance in neurosurgery, neuronavigation with neurosurgery microscope integration, rigid and flexible neuroendoscopes, stereotactic system for biopsies of deep-seated tumors, introduction to anti-cancer substances, ultrasonic aspirators, coblator, image intensifiers, and ultrasounds.
The Division of Neurosurgery is located on the 4th floor, just follow the blue on the right of the main lobby and use the O-P elevators.
It contains 16 beds which are shared among 7 bed rooms, each with their own air conditioning unit and en-suite as well as 2 full 1 bed each sub-intensive therapy.
The Neurosurgery specialist clinic is located on the ground floor.
It is open from 9.00 to 13.30 on Tuesday and Fridays.
The Division of Neurosurgery provides an outpatient service. To book Private Medical Visits (intramural)please contact 06 52666657-6658 -6981.
There is also an active Day-Surgery service for surgical procedures requiring day-hospital regarding operations under local anesthesia, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, removal of small superficial growths, and muscle and nerve biopsies. Hospital stay may be up to a few hours depending on whether there are complications. Access to Day-Surgery requires a neurosurgical consultation and a doctor’s request for admission. The patient will then be contacted for pre-admission examinations and then admitted.
- Integrated treatment innovative protocols (surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy) for primary and secondary tumors of the central nervous system.
- Basic research and translational biopathology on the characterization of the main tumors of the central nervous system and on the development of new therapeutic strategies and new ways of loco-regional administration;
- Use of minimally invasive techniques for brain and spinal tumor resection;
- Study of innovative methods for brain tumors neuro-endoscopy;
- Use of prosthetic discs for cervical and lumbar degenerative disease;
- Cortical stimulation surgical techniques for brain tumor in critical areas;